Tuesday, December 9, 2008

King Me!

What a lovely day for a dental crown! Well, it wasn't TOO bad. I expected a lot more pain but it was mostly an annoying buzzing....kind of like Skeptics.


Speaking of which, something funny has occurred to me. Here's an interesting fiction series:

http://www.selectivehouse.com/tcct.htm

As end-times fiction, this trilogy isn't bad. Even as a preterist, I liked it. It certainly kicks Tim LaHaye to the curb. But that's not the funny thing.

I first read this years ago -- in it, the author has a view of the Rapture as happening such that Christians simply drop dead in front of everyone -- and their spirits go on to new bodies in heaven.

Sound familiar?

It ought to. It's atheist Richard Carrier's "two body hypothesis" from The Empty Tomb: Jesus Beyond the Grave! The author even uses one of Carrier's awful arguments about the word "changed" in Paul actually meaning exchanged. Only he did it first.

Which leaves me to wonder -- what would Carrier do if he found out that his pet scholarly thesis was anticipated years before, by the author of a pulp, end-times fiction series?

Skeptical scholarship is such an amazing thing!

Trusting the New Testament: Finished the Greer-Heard lectures with Michael Holmes’ talk. Also began the chapter on the authorship of the Pastorals, which will be a slightly updated version of the current Tekton article.

E-Block: Posted the newest E-Block! I’ll take tomorrow off from this segment, then start on the next issue on Thursday.

Project S: Reviewed more essays for final posting. I should finish this part tomorrow, then I need to move on to some technical and promotional setup for the Project. No worries -- I'll be saying what it is in the last week of this month.

Other: More work on the informational brochure for the youth program. I’ll post the results when I’m done.

Look ahead: Business lunch tomorrow with my local ministry partner, plus a visit to the Reformed Seminary library to drop off a book before they close for the semester. Shorter workday again.

E-mails answered/written: 18

No comments: